cort logo

Administration Office:
ph: 330-637-3916
400 North High Street
Cortland, Ohio 44410

Our Police Department

Police Department FAQ's

Is the City of Cortland Police Department hiring officers at this time?

The City of Cortland Police Department is made up of different classifications of officers. At this time there are openings for experienced officers in the Part Time Officer Unit.  If you are interested in joining our professional and progressive rank and file, please fill out this application and drop it off at the Cortland Police Department.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

A copy of a police report filed with the City of Cortland Police Department can be obtained Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9am and 2pm at the police department. If you are unable to contact us at that time you may call 330-638-1000 extension 33 and leave a message for the records department with your request and your contact information. You may also submit a request via email by clicking the following link This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Can I drive my golf cart on the street in the city of Cortland?

Golf Carts are permitted on certain city streets ONLY when in compliance with the applicable ordinances set forth for Golf Carts on city streets. The Rules and Regulations can be found here.

I received a traffic citation from a Cortland Police Officer. How much will it cost and how do I pay it?

The police department does not establish fines nor costs for traffic citations. That process is handled by the courts having jurisdiction over the geographical area of Cortland City.

You will need to contact Trumbull County Central District Court at 330-675-2280.  Central Court is located at 180 North Mecca Street Cortland Ohio 44410 (map).

If you are under the age of 18, your traffic citation will be processed through the Trumbull County Juvenile Justice Center at 220 South Main Avenue Warren Ohio 44482 Phone Number: 330-675-2606J  JUV Map 

I am going on vacation, does the CIty of Cortland Police Department provide vacation checks?

Yes, you can call the police department 24 hours a day and request a vacation check. Upon obtaining all pertinent information about you and your residence, the officer will explain the service provided. The service is at no cost to residents.

You may also fill in and print out this form then mail it or bring it into the Cortland Police Department. Please allow plenty of time before your departure.

How do I contact a specific officer of the Cortland City Police Department?

If it is an emergency you should call 911.

If it is a non-emergency you can call the Trumbull County 911 Center at 330-675-2730 and request a return call from the officer.

You may also leave a message at the Cortland City Police Department in the officer's voice mail box.

Chief David Morris                                                                            330-638-1000 ext. 31

Records Department                                                                          330-638-1000 ext. 33

Records Robin Hager                                                                          330-638-1000 ext 32

Officer Jason Smith                                                                           330-638-1000 ext. 35

Officer John Weston                                                                          330-638-1000 ext. 36

Officer Steve Orslene                                                                         330-638-1000 ext. 38

Officer Andy Chovan                                                                          330-638-1000 ext. 39

Officer Brandon Rice                                                                          330-638-1000 ext. 40

Officer Paul O'Connor                                                                        330-638-1000 ext. 41

Officer Nicholas Mancini                                                                   330-638-1000 ext. 42

Officer John Mosora                                                                          330-638-1000 ext. 43

Officer Zack Horner                                                                           330-638-1000 ext. 100

Officer Zach Granelly                                                                        330-638-1000 ext. 37

Officer Julie Bevilacqua                                                                    330-638-1000 ext. 105

You may also email an individual officer which would be the more efficient manner of contact if the officer is not working. Most officers have constant access to their email throughout the day.  The Cortland City Police Department Officer email links can be found by clicking here.

Does the City of Cortland Police Department have a Facebook page?

Yes, click here to access the page.

Does the City of Cortland have a School Resource Officer?

Yes we do. Officer Jason Smith has been embedded in the Lakeview School System for several years. He may be contacted by leaving a voice message at 330-638-1000 extension 35 or you may email him here.

I am buying a used vehicle can you tell me if it is stolen?

Yes and No. While the police department officers have access to databases that would reveal if a vehicle is stolen, they ARE NOT permitted to disclose that information unless an official police department investigation is being conducted.

However, you personally may log on to the National Insurance Crime Bureau website which accesses a number of databases that report unrecovered stolen vehicles and declared salvage title vehicles. As you will read on the NICB site, the information is not comprehensive in concluding the status of a particular vehicle but you will receive a response to your request. If the vehicle identification number you are checking returns as stolen you may then contact the police department to investigate.

Click here for the NICB VinCheck page.

How do I get my fingerprints done or a Webcheck?

You can contact the Trumbull County Sheriff's Department for Webchecks/Fingerpinting.

Civilian Webchecks and Fingerprinting are conducted on Tuesdays only from 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM and 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM.No appointment is necessary.




Does the City Of Cortland Police Department use Twitter?

Yes we do. Go to Twitter and search "Cortland Police".

What can I do with expired, no longer needed or found drugs?

The Cortland Police Department will accept expired, no longer needed or found drugs during the hours of 9 AM and 2 PM Monday thru Friday at the Cortland Police Department and will secure the drugs until the next national collection date which usually occurs twice per calendar year.  NOTE: WE CANNOT ACCEPT LIQUIDS, INHALERS OR SYRINGES.

If you can not make it during the stated times then please contact an on-duty patrol officer for different arraignments.

What should I do if my pet is lost?

You can first contact the Trumbull County 911 Center at 330-675-2730 to learn if your pet was found and being housed by someone. Second, you can contact the Trumbull County Dog Warden in the event they may have information about your pet. Dog Warden Phone Number: 330-675-2787 You may also telephone the Cortland Police Station at 330-638-1000 to leave your information with the officers on duty.

Can I get my golf cart inspected locally?

Yes. Chief David Morris of the Cortland Police Department is certified to inspect golf carts. You can find a Golf Cart Inspection and Certification Form here.

What should I do if I find someone's pet?

You can telephone the on duty officers at 330-638-1000 and relay the found pet information. You can also contact the Trumbull County 911 Center at 330-675-2730 and relay the found pet information.

I have opened a new business in Cortland City. How can I inform the police of the information they need to contact me if there is a problem with my business?

You can print out and fill in this form which may then be faxed or mailed to the address on the Business Information Form.

Is there a way to update my business security listing already on file with the City of Cortland Police Department?

Yes, you can print out and fill in this form which may then be faxed or mailed to the address on the form.

Who do I contact if my vehicle was towed in the City of Cortland?

The Cortland Police Department uses a rotation list in an effort to make towing of vehicles fair for all tow companies registered to tow for the Cortland Police.

RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY BEFORE YOUR VEHICLE CAN BE RELEASED FROM THE TOW YARD i.e. Court Holds, Vehicle being held as evidence or possibly other reasons.

Allens's Towing    330-638-6123

Bud's Towing       330-638-6757

Northstar Towing  330-219-3949

Jeff's Towing        330-889-3878

Schultz Towing    330-372-5502

What court do I go to if I'm under eighteen years of age?

Trumbull County Juvenile Court located at 220 South Main Avenue in Warren, Ohio 44482  

Phone: 330-675-2600

click here for Trumbull County Juvenile Court

What are the recent changes in Ohio Tow Laws that affect how I remove a vehicle from my property?

In late 2015, the law was modified that put restrictions on how tow companies perform their business and require a property owner to post signs establishing private tow away zones. Click here for more information.