PARKS & RECREATION
BOARD†† ††††††† September 13, 2010
The Parks & Recreation Board met on Monday, September 13, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. at the City Administration Building, 400 N. High St., Cortland,
Ohio.† In attendance were the following board members:† Dave Christner, Jim
Gibson, Mike Norton.† †Absent were John Picuri and Frank Daugherty.† Also
present were Mayor Curt Moll and Service Director Don Wittman and the following
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Mr. & Mrs. Greco††††††††††††††††††† 151
Jim Gibson made a motion to approve minutes
from Augustís meeting, seconded by Mike Norton. MOTION APPROVED.
- Mr. & Mrs. Greco were present to discuss the walking
paths in Willow Park and the need to have grindings put down.† Dave &
Don advised that it is on the list of items to be done in the park, just a
matter of finding the time to do it.† Mrs. Greco stated it is needed
before the 1st bridge off Heather and towards the Volleyball
Court.† Don advised we would hit the all the paths not just spots.† Itís
a matter of getting the Ford tractor with the blade over there. We will
get to this as soon as time permits.
- Mayor asked about the poison ivy.† Grecoís stated itís
bad.† Mrs. canít even walk over there due to her reaction to just being
around it.† The city has sprayed what we can at this point.
- Doggie bags were also brought up by the Grecoís and Dave
advised we have discussed them but fear they would be blowing all over the
park, due to kids just ripping them out.
- Dave shared a prioritized list he made up combining Don
& Jimís lists of items to do at the park.
- Mike questioned the parking at the old elementary building
he noticed poles up in the entry ways.† Mayor Moll advised that he
believes that the problem with LOSA has been fixed.† They have added the
owner of the building onto their insurance so there will not be a
- Mayor Moll would like to get rid of all the fencing.†
Flail mow, clear cut and keep mowed along the east end of the park so itís
easier maintenance.† This will help get rid of the poison ivy in the area
by keeping it mowed.†
- Dave to get with John and see if he can start working on NatureWorks
Grant to cover the parking lot cost, playground area including drainage
and ground cover and maybe even restrooms.
- Basketball court needs to be cracksealed and top coat put
- Mayor Moll to speak with Dale Ė Cortland Hardwoods,
regarding their property adjacent to the park, maybe get a lease agreement
to use it for parking.
- Boundary Survey Ė may need to have one done for the NatureWorks
- Mayor Moll would like to keep the barrier on the north end
of the park.† To keep kids from going to pond on the other side.
- Don to call SuperGreen to get a fall application done
after soccer is finished.
Mayor Moll received an email regarding survey estimates.† Total
should be around $12,000.† Curt advised we are not paying for a survey to be
done between the Army Corp of Engineers land and State Park land
Rules signs for Willow Park
Generalize rules to; Be Respectful of Others, No Swearing, No
Fighting, No Alcohol/Drugs, No Littering
Rules to be posted in specific areas.† Playground, Skateboard
Area, Pickleball Court, Basketball Court/Tennis Court.
Council would like to see Drug Free Zone signs up Ė discussed
putting these at the entry points to the park one on the north end and one on
the south end.
- Dave thanked Dee for her years of service.
- Mayor Moll advised board members that they may want to
campaign Council members to be sure that all money is transferred to the
- Dave questioned sealing of tennis courts for this year.†
Don advised no money in budget to do it this year.† Not sure there will be
enough time for the weather to break in the spring since the season starts
Jim Gibson made a motion to adjourn and go to Willow
Park for walk-thru, seconded by Mike Norton.† All Ayes.† MOTION
____________________________††† __________††† _________________________
Dave Christner, Chairman† †††††††††††††††††† †††††††Date††††††††† Secretary