PARKS & RECREATION BOARD
The Parks & Recreation Board met on
Kevin Hull 222 Stahl Ave #103
Michael DeToro 240 Michaels Ct
Cathy Frederich 707 N Ward, Girard 44420
Nanette Schnarrs 413 Greenbriar
Stephanie Schnarrs 413 Greenbriar
Matt Schnarrs 413 Greenbriar
Paul Monroe 2979 Fallehn Dr
Ed Monroe 2979 Fallehn Dr
Robert Wilson 300 Hillman
Rich Stevens 300 Hillman
Maureen Paczak 2239 Cornerstone
Aaron Paczak 2239 Cornerstone
Lauren Paczak 2239 Cornerstone
Tom Pavlasky 372 Deer Creek Tr
Brett Carnahan 224 Wae Tr
Tessa Rowlands 2842 Fallehn
Claire Rowlands 2842 Fallehn
Jane Rowlands 2842 Fallehn
Beth Harris 4773 Durst Clagg
Mallory Kohut 243 Greenbriar
Emily Kohut 243 Greenbriar
Jordyn Ting 521 Sycamore Tr
Ali Krafft 2901 Fallehn Dr
Alex Ting 521 Sycamore Tr
Jean & Lindsey Mellott 90 Fairway Dr
Tammi Krafft 2901 Fallehn Dr
Stephanie Ting 521 Sycamore Tr
Barbara Rae Kohut 243 Greenbriar Dr
Jim Kohut 243 Greenbriar Dr
Haley Kunka 220 Old Oak
Mary E Williams 218 Karakul Dr
Jordyn Williams 218 Karakul Dr
Lisa Voytek made a motion to approve meeting minutes from February’s meeting, seconded by Dave Christner All Ayes. MOTION APPROVED
Dave Christner made a motion to fill cracks and seal the street hockey court in preparation of marking two (2) pickleball courts spending up to $800.00, seconded by Jim Gibson. All Ayes. MOTION PASSED
Dave Christner made a motion to purchase and install two (2) sets of semi-permanent poles with sleeves and pickleball nets, spending up to $500.00, seconded by Jim Gibson. All Ayes. MOTION PASSED
Input from Residents
· Kevin Hull voiced his concern about the poles being able to be removed because of the potential that basketball players may get hurt on them if they were left up. He also inquired on why not a fundraiser to raise money for the expense of the pickleball court like they did with the skateboard park. Mayor Moll advised him it’s no different than the city buying sand for the volleyball court or playground equipment. Mr. Hull stated if the city pays for ½ then the people interested in pickleball hold fundraisers for the other ½ then they would be more committed to playing.
· Brett Carnahan questioned why not use the existing basketball court and convert that to pickleball and move the basketball court to the street hockey court. Mayor Moll advised it wouldn’t be feasible due to lighting cost. Lights that in place now are specifically for the basketball court and tennis courts. Mr. Carnahan’s main concern is with the amount of profanity coming from the basketball players. Players make it a point to scream out vulgarities so that it is heard all over the park. Mayor Moll said that the street hockey court would have to be repaved due to the existing curbs and that is something we could possibly look at in the future.
· Kathy Frederick – LHS Girls Tennis Coach – It’s more than just the profanity there is also drug dealing going on in the park
· George Laskos – stated he has personally gone out on the court and spoken to the boys. Concerned about the little children that are overhearing the language. He also stated there needs to be more of a police presence in the park. They need to get out of their cars and speak to the kids. This type of language wouldn’t be accepted at the mall or any high school football, basketball, or any other type of games. He’s had two incidents already this year.
· Jerry Carleton – suggested moving one of the basketball hoops on the street hockey court to the opposite side of the other and that way it would be moved further way from the pickleball courts and kids wouldn’t take the chance of getting hurt on the posts or nets.
· Dave Christner asked Don how fast we could have all of this completed. Don advised he has already spoken to a contractor regarding filling the cracks and sealing the street hockey court. But he’s not sure as far how long it will take to get the posts & nets delivered. The contractor said all the city needs to do is powerwash around the edges of the court and they will come in.
· Resident concerned over the sticky residue that is marking up the courts by the masking tape that is being put down. Dave Christner advised her that the city has not put any tape down. Not sure who is doing it.
Lisa Voytek made motion to adjourn, seconded by Jim Gibson. All Ayes. MOTION APPROVED
____________________________ __________ _________________________
Dave Christner, Chairman Date Dee Daniels, Secretary